Skip to main content

oopsies

In the middle of this past week I thought to myself, "Did you post on your blog last Sunday?" I hurried and check and I did not. I am so sorry, but like I have always said we are all human and forget things when life gets a little too busy and crazy. Last Sunday we were heading back from St George from visiting Steve's grandma. She had shoulder surgery and she is 93 years old. I know she is one wise, stubborn, loving and one sexy young lady. As we were down there she kept saying this surgery has taken all my energy. I tried to tell her that before the surgery, but she was all in. She is doing great for her young body and is still the best grandma in the west. On the way home a good friend invited us over to have shakes with another family and then after saying yes to her my mom texted me and ask if we wanted to go over to eat dinner with them. So...this is why it slipped my mind.
Two weeks ago we went to see Dr. Snell a psyhchologist for our screening. I was nervous all day long. I didn't know what is was going to ask or if she was going to see myself and then Steve, I had no clue. I had never been to a psychologist, so I was going off the shows I have watched. Steve met me there and to add to my nerves we couldn't find her office and it was ticking closer to the time we needed to be there at. We ended up finding it and once I saw her my nerves when down a wee bit, but when she said to follow her back into her office my nerves were doing jumping jack in fast forward. As we started to talk and I saw that Steve seemed fine, I began to chill out. All my worries were for nothing. All the questions she asked weren't as bad as I was expecting them to be. So all the shows I have seen were nothing at all like what I just experienced.
Tuesday of this past week I had a doctors appointment just for a check up. All my blood work came back great and they lowered my dosage of prograf, one of my immunosuppressant drugs because I am soo far out my transplant. Now that I have been experiencing all the amazing little things since my gift of life; having a new heart is incredible. I remember that I struggled going up and down stairs with a basket full of laundry before my LVAD "Gus" and my gifts of life. To think back on all those small things my heart feels overwhelmed with gratitude.
Next week my mom and I are riding in the Wildflower Pedalfest. We have been training together and it feels so good to be using a man powered bike rather than battery and to top it off  to be out there with my mom right beside me. Yesterday Steve, my mom and I rode about 22 miles together as I was riding I felt free with the wind in my face and just cruising right along with my better half and my mom. That night we had our surrogate and family come over to my parents house for dinner. They have two little ones that are adorable. Watching them parent is something that I am so excited to do and I told my surrogate I am going to have to take notes. Their kids were very obedient, listened and their eyes could give you a look and you had no choice to give in. It was so nice getting to sit down with everyone and make sure everyone knew that our relationship is open and to not hesitate to ask any question to anyone. It is truly so amazing what the doctors can do these days and especially the people that are willing to give up  a year or more of their lives for someone like Steve and I.


Our new lights and wood siding in our backyard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chalk It Up as a Miracle.........

Some of you may know, but Ashley went through another Heart Transplant yesterday. After her first first new heart started to fail, we re-listed on the her on the transplant list immediately. We knew getting another heart would be a long shot, but we wanted the option to be there if a heart came available. Sure enough 18 hours on the list a second heart came available that was a perfect match for Ashley. Ironically, it took 4.5 months and then 2 hearts in the same week. We, including the doctors, are all chalking it up as a miracle. It was decided not to wait to see if the first heart would handle the load she would need but rather to move forward with the new donor heart. Going through a transplant a second time makes you really feel for the family who lost their daughter, sister, spouse and friend. We are grateful again for the family and the individual who choose to give life. We were in quite a predicament and feel only divine intervention could have provided a means out. Ashley is

Stinking Breathing Tube!!!! Actually they are out!!! YAYA

Anywho the stinking breathing tube is still in, which makes it more than miserable for Ashley. She is so frustrated, can't talk, can't get anyone to understand what she is trying to say.  It's difficult to see her suffer like she has. The Dr. just told us it's not all just up to her, her lungs may just be that full of fluid that the oxygen saturation may just be low. They have gotten lots of fluid off her which is helping and we are hoping later today will be the day. It's going to take getting that out to  get her up walking and making leaps and bounds of improvements. We are calling today day 2 post surgery, she was on bypass through the weekend which did not put her ahead any, she had fluid on board already from the first surgery so now the fluid has basically compounded. 8PM Update- Breathing tubes are out, still on oxygen, much less irritated, she has one of her favorite nurses on tonight and we think another one of her fav's  will be working with her

quarantine = self reflection

I was talking with my lovely mother on Facetime this morning and she suggested to post on my blog. I look at my blog and noticed I haven't posted since November! So here you go, during this crazy time I am no longer working and my day to day tasks have shifted drastically. I am sure all of you know what is going on all over the world. I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. I have been in this situation before. I was taken out of the game due to my heart, my life was soccer. Now my life was going to work and heading off to soccer practice, but COVID-19 has taken that away. I am reflecting on my response when my heart wasn't doing that well. At first I was frustrated and asking why? Now I am doing the same thing. WHY? Because I am HUMAN I know!!! This time I caught myself and decided to choose another route.  My alternate route has been getting outside every darn day, no matter the weather and enjoying the beauties of this earth, sun, clouds, rain, breeze, nature, the s