Skip to main content



My Journey to Receive a New Heart...

After 5 weeks of being on an emotional rollacoster, I am starting a long overdue blog about my Journey of heart failure. Instead of starting at my most recent complications dating back 5 weeks ago… I actually want to jump back 5 years to when my life took a turn down a bumpy road.
image
In 2009 I was playing soccer for Idaho State University, and as part of my sophomore summer training I had the hardest time completing 6 minute mile test, something with my effort and training I should have been able to do with ease. I initially thought “Sports Asthma” but the inhaler didn’t help. Long story short, a chest X-ray confirmed my heart was enlarged and I was diagnosed with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Six months later I had a Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Device implanted. This device was to help my heart function as well as it possibly could, pacing it and shocking it when needed. Blah Blah
The hardest part of this new journey for me wasn’t the new device in my chest, but the realization that soccer was not in my future. Everything I had ever done up until this point was Soccer, Soccer, Soccer. All I wanted to do was play Soccer and not only could I not play, but according to the Athletic Director I couldn’t even practice with my team.
image
After not being able to participate anymore, It was emotionally easier for me to put soccer and what I loved behind me. So, I moved back to Salt Lake City to be with my Family and friends. Sidenote- The best thing that happened to me during this time was that I met my future husband.
After coming home, I continued my education and Steve and I were married in 2011. Things were great, we had moved to St. George- I love warm weather!!! I was accepted into the Physical Therapy Assistant program and Life was pretty good.
Then halfway through my schooling, I was blindsided by a Stroke. Luckily we were in Salt Lake City, where I could quickly receive proper medical attention. I say Luckily, because on a whim Steve and I bought tickets and drove to the Taylor Swift concert. Taylor brought us to Salt Lake, she was a Rockstar and the concert was so good. The Following day the Stroke happened while we were at a family BBQ. I was rushed to the ER and the Doctor's did their thing. It was a slow recovery and I still notice some dexteratity issues on my right side, but for the most part things are back to normal.
I was able to finish school, pass my board exams and I accepted a position in Idaho Falls, ID in July. Steve and I bought a home, started remodeling and then 3 months into working I started to become more symptomatic. Stairs wore me out, my appetite stunk, I was losing weight, I was retaining water…. So I went to my doctors and they told me I needed to visit the Heart Failure Clinic at the IHC hospital in Salt Lake City.
Now we're at that 6 weeks ago mark… October 11th,2014 After some testing with the IHC Heart Failure Team (stress test, making me briskly walk on a treadmill- Sheesha) I was admitted to the hospital with a very weak and enlarged heart. After a Heart Transplant Evaluation, it was decided that I would receive a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) and I would be listed on the Heart Transplant list. This device would perform the pumping action of my heart for me.
I initially was put on Milrinone, my favorite drug to date. I call it Rocket Fuel! Basically, it helped my heart contract "SQUEEZE". I felt so good, I got my appetite back, I had energy. I was given this drug to subsequently reduce the high pressure in my heart. The only bummer is Milrinone is a temporary drug, I guess it’s also called “Kill”rinone because being on it too long will cause problems. Ten days later on October 21 I went in for open heart surgery and receive my LVAD and a nice scar down my chest. If its gonna keep me going so be it.



Nine days later I was discharged and 3 days following that I was back in the hospital with a gastrointestinal (GI) bleed. They eventually ended up cauterizing 65 Arterial Venous Malformations (AVM’s) in my small intestine, which set me back another 15 days in the hospital. Have I mentioned how much I hate hospitals. After being home for 5 days I was admitted back to the hospital with another GI bleed and that is today. This bleeding stuff is getting pretty irritating. On top of all of this while scoping my intestines the Dr. bet his 3 children I had Celiac disease, blood tests confirmed… I am now Gluten free.
Not sure if they will fix the bleeds or bump me up on the heart transplant list. We shall see. All I know is I need a new Heart, the whole process is so surreal, but I just want to kick the soccer ball again.
I have decided to start this blog in hopes of two things;
1st- That some of you will take this journey of waiting for a heart with me.
2nd- To inspire, allowing others to have faith, comfort and hope through my story as I continue to have faith, comfort and hope through Savior.
Thank You All,
Ashley Paige Askwig Irvin
image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chalk It Up as a Miracle.........

Some of you may know, but Ashley went through another Heart Transplant yesterday. After her first first new heart started to fail, we re-listed on the her on the transplant list immediately. We knew getting another heart would be a long shot, but we wanted the option to be there if a heart came available. Sure enough 18 hours on the list a second heart came available that was a perfect match for Ashley. Ironically, it took 4.5 months and then 2 hearts in the same week. We, including the doctors, are all chalking it up as a miracle. It was decided not to wait to see if the first heart would handle the load she would need but rather to move forward with the new donor heart. Going through a transplant a second time makes you really feel for the family who lost their daughter, sister, spouse and friend. We are grateful again for the family and the individual who choose to give life. We were in quite a predicament and feel only divine intervention could have provided a means out. Ashley is

Stinking Breathing Tube!!!! Actually they are out!!! YAYA

Anywho the stinking breathing tube is still in, which makes it more than miserable for Ashley. She is so frustrated, can't talk, can't get anyone to understand what she is trying to say.  It's difficult to see her suffer like she has. The Dr. just told us it's not all just up to her, her lungs may just be that full of fluid that the oxygen saturation may just be low. They have gotten lots of fluid off her which is helping and we are hoping later today will be the day. It's going to take getting that out to  get her up walking and making leaps and bounds of improvements. We are calling today day 2 post surgery, she was on bypass through the weekend which did not put her ahead any, she had fluid on board already from the first surgery so now the fluid has basically compounded. 8PM Update- Breathing tubes are out, still on oxygen, much less irritated, she has one of her favorite nurses on tonight and we think another one of her fav's  will be working with her

quarantine = self reflection

I was talking with my lovely mother on Facetime this morning and she suggested to post on my blog. I look at my blog and noticed I haven't posted since November! So here you go, during this crazy time I am no longer working and my day to day tasks have shifted drastically. I am sure all of you know what is going on all over the world. I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. I have been in this situation before. I was taken out of the game due to my heart, my life was soccer. Now my life was going to work and heading off to soccer practice, but COVID-19 has taken that away. I am reflecting on my response when my heart wasn't doing that well. At first I was frustrated and asking why? Now I am doing the same thing. WHY? Because I am HUMAN I know!!! This time I caught myself and decided to choose another route.  My alternate route has been getting outside every darn day, no matter the weather and enjoying the beauties of this earth, sun, clouds, rain, breeze, nature, the s