Skip to main content

another one down

I had been thinking about doing another half marathon for a while, but haven't really been training. Tried to convince Steve to run one with me, but he was a no go. The longest I have ran for was 7 miles down in St George, so I thought what the heck I will run the Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon. After signing up for the race, which was a week ago today I got a stomach bug right before the race. Didn't know if I would have the energy to be able to run that far, but if you know me I will always try even if I fail.
To get my head ready for the race I decided to change the word "race" to "run." When I hear the word race I automatically think I have to compete. That was the first thing that had to be changed. The second thing I decided was not to choose someone who was running the race about my speed that was ahead of me and try to beat them. And lastly, I was thinking I was likely to get a PR due to the course was basically all downhill.
Once the "run" started, I was feeling pretty good and going a nice speed. I noticed these women that I kept passing and then they would pass me back. Then I got smart and tagged along with them for a few miles. At that point I was still feeling good, so as they stopped at a water station I pushed along and took their strategy with me. They were running 5 minutes and walking 1 minute, me feeling so good decided to run 5 walk 30 seconds. By mile 10, I was drained every time I would go back to running my back and right ankle refused. There goes my PR. Only a mile and a half to go and there go those women strolling right by me waving. They were smart and saved their energy for the finish. With that said always follow more experienced people in things you don't know a whole lot about. I finished in the same time as my last half marathon.
I am grateful for my donor for giving me this opportunity to run and continue to become a better person. Next time I will follow some ladies all the way to the finish line. :)




Steve pretended to run :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

quarantine = self reflection

I was talking with my lovely mother on Facetime this morning and she suggested to post on my blog. I look at my blog and noticed I haven't posted since November! So here you go, during this crazy time I am no longer working and my day to day tasks have shifted drastically. I am sure all of you know what is going on all over the world. I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy. I have been in this situation before. I was taken out of the game due to my heart, my life was soccer. Now my life was going to work and heading off to soccer practice, but COVID-19 has taken that away. I am reflecting on my response when my heart wasn't doing that well. At first I was frustrated and asking why? Now I am doing the same thing. WHY? Because I am HUMAN I know!!! This time I caught myself and decided to choose another route.  My alternate route has been getting outside every darn day, no matter the weather and enjoying the beauties of this earth, sun, clouds, rain, breeze, nature, the ...

Chalk It Up as a Miracle.........

Some of you may know, but Ashley went through another Heart Transplant yesterday. After her first first new heart started to fail, we re-listed on the her on the transplant list immediately. We knew getting another heart would be a long shot, but we wanted the option to be there if a heart came available. Sure enough 18 hours on the list a second heart came available that was a perfect match for Ashley. Ironically, it took 4.5 months and then 2 hearts in the same week. We, including the doctors, are all chalking it up as a miracle. It was decided not to wait to see if the first heart would handle the load she would need but rather to move forward with the new donor heart. Going through a transplant a second time makes you really feel for the family who lost their daughter, sister, spouse and friend. We are grateful again for the family and the individual who choose to give life. We were in quite a predicament and feel only divine intervention could hav...

New Day, New Chapter, New....????

After the other days SHOCKing experience, I had to go into the clinic today to have my device interrogated.   Basically find out why I got shocked…. Was it warranted?? My device is set to SHOCK me if my heart gets beating too fast, like 180bpm or higher. Which I guess I excreted myself too much yesterday. This is a little bit upsetting, I was hardly up the trail and I got shocked. How am I supposed to do anything physical and not get shocked? Think about trying to exercise but also having to worry about a horse kicking you in the chest at any time.   Leaving the clinic I was pretty bummed… Is my heart just getting worse? Anyway, I went to work at straws and about an hour into work the clinic was calling me. I didn’t want to answer because I had a feeling my INR would be too low again and I would have to be admitted to the hospital. Anyway, I answered and Dr. Kia was on the line. He said “I heard you left upset from the clinic today?” I figured he was about to give me a pe...